Friday, April 27, 2012

Cemetery Photos #1: William M Wynekoop

I told you last week about visiting a cemetery where some of my ancestors are buried. Here is the first in a series of the pictures I took and what information I know about them. I'm starting with my 5xgreat-grandfather, William Manning Wynekoop.

William Manning Wynekoop was born in August of 1801 in Virginia. On April 10, 1826, William filed for a marriage license to wed Elizabeth VanMetre. They were married on the 13th, according to marriage records. Some time after this marriage William and Elizabeth made their way to Clinton County, Indiana. Here they established their family. Together they had 11 children, some of which are buried near them. William has a very short mention in this passage from A Standard History of White County (1915) where his grandson, Lewis, has a biography. On February 3, 1863 William died. He was 61 years old. He was buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in Kirklin, Indiana.


The headstone reads: 
WILLIAM M WYNEKOOP
DIED
Feb. 3, 1863
AGED
61 yrs. 5 mo. 15 days

No comments:

Post a Comment